Fitness: discipline vs motivation


Someone once told me - do not rely on motivation to get through. Instead, be disciplined. Use discipline rather than motivation. I thought it was quite a wise saying when it comes to my own fitness journey.


I have always struggled with my weight. My 20-over years have been laden with yo-yo periods where sometimes I get very motivated after I've lost some weight, but other times  just in plain denial during the 'low' period, piling on excessive kilos. The year I hit 30, someone told me about this discipline versus motivation. It shook my paradigm altogether. I started to align my workout and lifestyle habits into this concept.

I no longer give up on working out whenever I think of the thoughts that I could not really lose weight from it. Instead, I started adopting the "just do it" essence of being disciplined, despite of any circumstances. Do it because of discipline, and not because you are motivated from the prospective results or ones that you have gained.

For over two years, with that mindset that spells out D-I-S-C-I-P-L-I-N-E, I have managed to increase my workout consistency to a level I never thought I would sustain before. Riding on the "Just do it" motto, I gave myself no excuses to say no. I knew that weight loss no longer comes easily like a decade ago when my body's metabolism was still high. I kept going on despite not seeing the result. Even on the days that I did not feel like working out, I would pull myself to the exercise mat and follow through a work out video on YouTube.



The result out discipline can be pretty astonishing. I have made progress, albeit very slowly. I still do not look like a fitness star, nor do I have six-pack abs. However, I have improved in my stamina, fitness form and mental strength. I no longer easily give up half way through the workout video. From the 10 or 15-minute videos, I have lengthen my workout duration to 40, and even up to 60 minutes.

Some say, it takes 14 days to make it a habit and 90 days to turn it into a lifestyle. If there is anything you need to achieve that goal, be disciplined. Motivations may wane but discipline gives no room for excuses.

Comments

Popular Posts