Quinoa: cooking and the craze

My sister from America gave me a big bag of quinoa. I've been very excited about it because I hear so much about the craze of quinoa.


Quinoa is a very special type of food because it is more of 'seeds' rather than 'grains'. Used as a substitute of rice, it provides more protein and less carbohydrates compared to conventional rice. In fact, many boast about its wholesome and complete amino acids content. It is also known to be a reliable source for iron, magnesium, potassium and vitamin E. All the goodness packed in one!

How about the taste, you may wonder?

Some describe it as fluffy yet crunchy, others label it nutty. Yet there are people who say it tastes a bit like a cross between oatmeal and brown rice.

It was quite a deal - my sister bought it for only $6.99! It is approximately 5 or 6 times more expensive to buy from the local store here.


Many of my friends are skeptical when it comes to quinoa really taking over rice. Even though many may acknowledge its nutritional benefits, others claim that it is way too costly compared to the staple rice we have always had. I also have peers who feel that quinoa tastes awkward and horrible.

I think the secret lies in the way one cooks the quinoa. Unlike rice which can be quite a no-brainer, I believe the top tip to getting a tasty dish of quinoa lies in the toasting part. Before boiling it like how rice is conventionally cooked, you should toast the seeds with butter, olive oil and spices of your choice until you sense the nuttiness and flavoursome aroma. 


It does not have to be very long. Just a quick toast can bring up the flavours. For this batch, I toasted the quinoa with some olive oil, turmeric and a pinch of salt. Immediately, pour in two times the number of cups you use for the quinoa. Since I toasted one cup of quinoa, I added two cups of water. This will bring the mixture to boil.


Let the quinoa boil for 15 minutes. After that, switch off the fire and let it sit for another 5 minutes before fluffing the grains (or rather, seeds) with a fork. 

For my first try, I paired up a minced beef and mushroom with okra fried up. I made three portions of meal prep for this week's lunch at work and had a small portion to try. It was tasty and wholesome. 


Definitely looking forward to more quinoa recipes!


Comments

Popular Posts